6 Nov 2014

Looking Out For Number One

Hello Everyone!
 
I would like to start this post off by announcing some EXCITING news!!  One of my dreams has come true - I am officially on a Design Team - for the awesome site, Let's Scrap!
 
Thanks to all the LS DT members for the very warm and friendly welcome I received.  Every morning since I heard the news, I have woken up with a cheesy grin and inside my head I have screamed "I'M ON A DESIGN TEAM"!!  No really - I have!  I have!!
 
I am really looking forward to growing with you, making new friends and being inspired!  Not only that - I can't believe that the possibility exists that my work would inspire someone else too!  How humbled that makes me feel!!
 
My very first LO as a DT on this lovely site will go live next week - watch this space! :-)
 
And with that news, let's move on to my take on this weeks' challenge over at CSI.  I'm sure you'll agree that this is a really pretty palette this week!
 
 
And here is what I came up with:
 
 
The Scheme : the colours are all there
Evidence : stripes, polka dots, fibres
Testimony : I chose from the list - namely 'List Promises to Myself'.  My journaling is on the back
 
I have noticed that so often, as women, we fail at putting ourselves first.  We are always looking out for our children or our families in general.  Often this is to our own detriment; and although on the outside we appear fine, inside we are broken, misunderstood or falling apart at the seams.
 
I am one such person.  I battle to put myself first at best, as I often wonder whether I am being selfish.  Although I have 'retired' from work this year, I have not achieved what I set out to do.  I bit off more than I could chew once too often during the year, and all the personal projects, ideas, visits, outings I planned NEVER happened.  Therefore, going forward, I am making a list - both to-do and promise!  And I am going to endeavour to stick to it!!
 
1. I promise that I will NOT bite off more than I can chew from here on in! 
2. Learn to say no!
3.  I promise that I will learn and accept that it is OKAY to say NO!
4. I will be kinder to my physical self; my body does not like me very much right now!
5.  Put on those trainers and RUN!  You KNOW how it feeds you!
6.  Get in that room and CRAFT!  You know how IT heals you!
7.  You are not an octopus!  You cannot carry 8 bags of groceries in one go!  Do two trips! (ha ha!)
8.  I promise to MEDITATE again!
9.  I promise to feed myself healthy and nutritious food - I know that my whole being works optimally this way.
10. I promise to be more accepting of the love and compliments that come my way from my husband. 
 
 
Here are some close up shots.
 
 
So for the background, I used a stencil and randomly applied some texture paste.  I then used that same stencil and applied some distress marker, using the ranger Distress Marker Spritzer.  It is such a nifty tool and is rapidly becoming a favourite!
 
 
I find that a light spritz of water over the distress stencilled parts gives for a lovely soft, water-colour effect - I love how it looks!  I also stamped randomly over the background.
 
 
This part of the page was a more 'free-hand' spritz - i.e. not through the stencil.  You can see how the water misted on the page has changed the effect of the spritz dotlets.
 
 
I also painted the background with some watered down gelato's.  When I was happy with the background, I added some mist splats.
 
 
Lots and lots of layering!  How I LOVE layering!!!
 
Thanks for your visit!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes - you are so right we do find it hard to take care of ourselves and I often wonder why. What kind of mixed messages are we getting and from whom. I don't ever remember my mother telling me to put my family first so I don't know where it comes from and only now at VERY nearly 60 have I learnt to be selfish and do what is best for me and when I falter I know it it hits hard, physically, mentally and emotionally. So good for you.. these are all good points to follow and I hope you manage BUT if you don't, don't be too hard on yourself. Life has a habit of throwing you curveballs. This is a beautiful layout and I love that photo and the colours are so healing. <3

    ReplyDelete